Thursday, July 12, 2012

New Job - My first day as a "real" pediatrician

July 2nd was my first day of my new job as a "real" pediatrician.  I have been in school or training for so long now, that it was so weird to be actually starting my real life job.  I can't believe I am actually a board certified pediatrician.  I never thought I would see this day.  At the time, medical school and then residency, seemed like it lasted forever and now it is all over and I am on my own.  For the first time in my life I don't have an attending to look over everything I do and assure me that what I am doing is right or tell me I am wrong.  It's a little scary and kind of intimidating...not gonna lie.  I have a really hard time with change, and boy do we have some changes going on in our life right now.  I feel extremely blessed for all the changes, don't get me wrong, but it sure makes for a very overwhelming experience to say the least.  

Thankfully, I was trained by what I feel are some of the best of the best pediatricians around.  I feel so fortunate to have developed the kind of relationships I did with some of my attendings, a relationship where I know if I ever needed anything, they are only a phone call away. 

Back to the first day...I hate first days.  I hate not knowing the people I am working with.  I am so lucky that I not only get to work with my husband, but I also get to work with one of my best friends, who is the other pediatrician at the clinic.

My first day started with my husband trying to orient me as much as he could, thank God for him or I don't know what I would have done.  I tried to somewhat put my new office together!  I will say that is a big perk...having my own office :)  It's fun trying to figure out how to personalize it just for me. 

I then shadowed another one of the docs to try to familiarize myself with the EMR in the morning and had a 4 hr tutorial in EMR in the afternoon.  It was a long day!  And kinda boring, considering I HATE EMR.  And really, who learns EMR from someone just going through it with you.  I know I don't!  I have to actually go through it with a real patient.  We will see how that goes!

I am very thankful that everyone that works here seems very nice and very willing to help me in anyway they can.  And I am so very blessed to have this job and to be able to work in the same building as my husband.  All-in-all I am so glad the dreaded first day is over and I am so ready to fast forward a few weeks to where I feel comfortable with this new adventure.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment